Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Sisters are the Best!!

Sisters are the greatest gift that God could ever give a girl!  I am so thankful for my two sisters, especially because they are a miracle of God.  My parents were divorced when I was six and my sisters became a result of this terrible situation. My life verse quickly became Romans 8:28 as I was growing up.  It says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Divorce is never God's idea, but in our family He truly worked ALL things for the good of us who love him, because I would have never had sisters if it wasn't for the divorce of my parents! 

A week ago we celebrated my older sister Wendy's 50th birthday.  I still can't get over the fact that she is 50 - she doesn't look a day over 30!  I spent the whole week before gathering pictures of her to make a memory board and an album to celebrate her last 50 years.  As I was looking through all my old albums of pictures of us growing up, I was reminded of how blessed I am to have an older sister.


Here we are at her party!  Doesn't look 50 at all, huh?

Wendy came into my life when I was seven and she was fourteen.   I thought she was incredibly beautiful and sweet!  That's what I thought of her at seven and I NEVER changed my opinion of her - she is STILL beautiful and sweet.  She was ALWAYS so kind to me even though she was a teenager. She never got irritated with me even though I was probably annoying because I wanted to do everything that she did.  I always felt special when we were together - she did my hair, taught me how to wear makeup, and played with me!  

Here we are on our first trip as a family  - of course I'm holding a cat "just like her"!


When I heard the news that she was going to be my "big" sister, I was estatic!  She became the sister I always wanted.    As the years went on and we grew closer and closer, I realized that she was not only beautiful on the outside, but amazingly beautiful on the inside.  Her faith in God shined through her face and in everything she did.   She was genuine, kind, encouraging, and special to everyone who knew her - and I strived to be just like her in every way.   And everything about her is the same today as it was back them!!!

Unfortunately, we were never able to live together, but when she spent time with her dad and us, she treated me like a princess and I adored her.  It was the quality times and family vacations that allowed us to bond as sisters forever.  Wonderfully, the best part of not being together all the time is that we never fought about anything.  I would watch her with her grace and beauty and joy even though her parents weren't together anymore, and she would NEVER say a negative word about anything.  She was my mentor and role model growing up, and in many ways she still is.  She is a beautiful woman who has devoted her life to the Lord, and she probably had no idea of the impact that she has made on my life, especially spiritually.  I am so proud that she is my sister!!

THEN, two years after Wendy came into my life, I received another GREAT gift - my little sister Amy was born to my dad and my step mom a month after I turned nine!  I now not only had a big sister, but I had a little sister!  WOW!  How blessed am I!!!  I could not believe that I would ever have a little sister, and here she was, a special, adorable little baby that I could play with. 

Amy and I grew up also in different households and even though I adored her we never really got a chance to bond until I moved in with them in college.  Amy was eleven and in the prime of becoming a teenager.   Even though she was young, I spent as much time with her as a college student possible can, to get to know her.  My role had reversed from me looking constantly to an older sister for guidance, to becoming the older sister to guide.  I taught her how to put on her makeup and many others things.  We had many times of laughing, talking, playing games, watching movies, and shopping.  I become her Junior High leader at the youth group at our church, and was involved in many of the activites of she an her friends.  I tried to encourage her constantly, especially in spiritual matters, and I hope that I became a mentor to her as much as Wendy was to me!  

I am so thankful for that quality time that God allowed for us to bond before I moved away from home.  It  became the foundation of the relationship that we have now. 

My sisters have meant everything to me then and still do now!  When I got married I couldn't imagine anyone else next to me besides my sisters.  Wendy was my Matron of Honor and Amy was my Maid of Honor. 


Amy has become a beautiful young woman inside and out.  She is sweet, thoughtful, encouraging, and a spiritual rock!  I actually call her now when I'm having a bad day, just to be listened to and encouraged.  She has been an amazing aunt to my kids, and I  now have the privillege to be an aunt to her children who I adore. 


My sisters are trully the greatest gift that God has given me - besides my husband and children of course!!!  Thank you Wendy and Amy for being my sisters! 




1 comment:

  1. ahhh how sweet!! I love you too!! And I about died when you said God blessed you with a "little" sister to hold and play with and in the picture underneath I look like a mammoth child who is bigger than you!! haha. My my I was a chunker!

    Anyway, you were a huge impact on me and still are. I love and adore you and I am SO VERY GLAD that God gave me a sister. You are a wonderful sister to me and auntie to my kids. They love and adore you. Life would not be complete without you!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete